[复制链接]
  • TA的每日心情
    开心
    2018-8-3 11:13
  • 签到天数: 1 天

[LV.1]初来乍到

发表于 2018-8-3 11:35:31 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
    Affect vs. Effect
      C) X: d! [% u" OAffect(动词)- to have an effect on; influence; produce a change in; to stir the emotions 影响;感染;感动;
    ; U. P' b% b4 @: C& n例句:The dog's death affected his owners.8 z+ P5 \+ o' }! U1 ~) g5 p
    Effect (名词) - anything brought about by a cause or agent; result 效果;影响;印象;
    ( A) f! m$ M$ {0 M3 x例句:The new speed limit law had little effect on the speed of the motorists.
    & ]9 z+ W2 Z8 s) g8 v% m$ h
    3 ?6 E' r% c2 ]$ h& @All Intensive Purposes vs. All Intents and Purposes+ `  @- W. y4 l  e  M: w
    "All intensive purpose" is an incorrect use of the phrase "all intents and purposes."  错误用法2 |4 _; v0 O5 q6 k) ~2 l  ~
    "All intents and purposes" is a phrase that means "for all practical purposes" or "under most usual situations." 无论从哪点来看* m. k/ X1 J5 D. F
    例句:For all intents and purpose, she planned to buy the refrigerator but still wanted to check the reviews.$ `1 F: x" f; v+ \# P* S

$ u  L: s3 Y3 b9 {1 h. u' [4 r
    2 y# C4 r) i6 y( r! YAwhile vs. A While/ q+ H3 c& s2 p6 _4 n, ^
    Awhile (adv) - for a while; for a short time 暂时,片刻;( N' E' }( X3 L/ c6 j5 @/ B6 D
    例句:The guests planned to stay awhile.
    5 ?7 f$ T7 \1 G( ZA while(名词)- for a short time; when while is used as the object of the preposition (for a while) then the "a" is separated from the "while" 一会儿- @$ t7 A$ b; t3 k
    例句:The guests planned to stay for a while.
    $ Z5 k! a: Y1 T; F( a* p1 X# i% R
    4 }) h8 ~3 n1 h& v: _Borrow vs. Lend
    % G# O2 L# f/ u, W4 U: f6 _, j2 ]Borrow(动词)- to take or accept something for a short time with the intention of returning it to its rightful owner  借入; 借钱,借用;
    3 H: R1 Q/ S, R) W4 G4 o3 N例句:May I borrow a pencil, please?" K. G9 h' r) U( p2 l
    Lend(动词)- to give something for a short time with the intention of getting it back  把…借给; 贷(款); 贡献,给予; 适于;
    0 L& o3 A! W, o3 X3 u例句:Would you please lend me a pencil?
    ( @) b: b; b7 P. t3 g2 s5 A! y
    / L! }- @  L; @: G3 O' M+ IBreath vs. Breathe( ^" m7 U5 T: X& x; N6 `
    Breath (名词) - air taken into the lungs and then let out  呼吸; 一口气; 呼吸力; 微量;) }& M0 u  U8 ~$ @8 _
    例句:Take a deep breath.7 K2 o& v; i, w# e& f3 o, l3 Z! t
    Breathe (动词) - to inhale and exhale  呼吸; 吸气呼气;0 m3 d; f! i$ R! E+ `8 `' ?5 B6 `4 d
    例句:Just calm down and breathe.
    7 \3 Y; }4 D3 c2 h  y1 ^+ C
    2 V! G3 L6 S6 aCache vs. Cash
    * l: s; n% a& G% |+ E& S. F8 o' bCache(名词)- a safe place to store supplies; anything stored or hidden in such a place 藏物处; 隐藏处; " N; J1 `7 k5 Z% z: b
    例句:The hikers found a cache with some cash and jewels.
    ) Q' i2 R- c( q, Q% z' n* jCash(名词)- money, coins, bills; currency  现金7 W/ e! M7 I( {& _7 E: n) B/ |
    例句:ATM machines dispense cash.0 m% a4 G7 J4 `* R; Y6 s9 s6 N% F: d

8 D+ ~) _0 }9 d: b$ b2 hComplement vs. Compliment
    2 U* E0 c$ ]  X5 b- A0 ?Complement (名词) - that which completes or brings to perfection; 补充; 补足语; 补充物;
    4 J' p) P# _" N* ~7 }+ x* u(动词) - to make complete  补足,补充; 补助;( g9 Y  c2 A$ i# z; ]
    例句:Red wine is a nice complement to a steak dinner.
    - k9 `/ A- B" \  p+ [: e) LCompliment(名词)- something said in admiration, praise, or flattery; 恭维; 敬意; 道贺,贺词; 致意;
    0 u& l9 t8 B, k  ?2 F4 _(动词)- to pay a compliment to; congratulate  称赞; 向…道贺; 向…致意;6 O$ s% }3 a4 V* j2 a+ |8 }
    例句:She gave me a nice compliment when she said I looked thin.# m' ~+ p; _: r2 P0 r  R& l, U. e

3 }: N* A2 U" }* D5 n6 yComprise vs. Compose7 ]; L% _4 Q% z% M( v0 l& k
    Comprise(动词)- to include; to contain; to consist of; to be composed of  包含,包括; 由…组成; 由…构成;1 s5 U3 K$ j& h; |7 C
    例句:The state of North Carolina comprises 100 counties.) I1 m" s4 x5 h
    Compose(动词)- to form in combination; make up; constitute   组成,构成; 创作;构图;$ k/ N3 _* K: n: B5 L& J
    例句:One hundred counties compose the state of North Carolina.
    / }8 Q" c% e9 F$ g, f
    ( ]8 m; e4 F* oDesert vs. Dessert7 @' z: g/ o; s  P" X1 Q# _
    Desert(动词)- to forsake or abandon; to leave without permission; to fail when needed  放弃;遗弃;
    . f7 U" Q! f+ H) g例句:Soldiers should not desert their posts.
    4 U, u: ]4 U2 G5 j4 ^' U6 S) nDesert(名词)- dry, barren, sandy region  沙漠; 荒地;0 D5 K4 F( m3 n. N
    例句:The largest desert in the world is the Sahara.
    5 a  c: S4 Q% q1 s8 g- `: eDessert(名词)- a sweet course served at the end of a meal  甜点; 餐后甜食;
    # p2 M' X( H+ g例句:Fruit makes a healthy dessert after lunch or dinner.
    4 b0 a- T: ^, v  x1 M2 c5 @& R. \. {& v0 c
    Done vs. Did* f: Y0 L: B) E/ O8 {( M) L' B$ ?
    Done (adj) - completed; sufficiently cooked; socially acceptable  已完成的;煮熟的; 合乎规矩的;
    5 k$ U- C7 G+ u& W  k& cDone(动词)- the past participle of do   do的过去分词
    & q! O" m" b5 t2 V例句:After an hour, the roast was done.
    * C+ @4 Z1 v- C9 B9 xDid (动词) - past tense of do  do的过去式
    7 o' `  v/ S8 B$ B' O! g9 ~7 L例句:The children did not want to leave the playground.7 \# ~4 U" G" R! x: B& x
    5 I4 D8 e0 C0 }& J! S
    Elicit vs. Illicit( N, {6 L$ D: W
    Elicit (verb) - to draw forth; evoke  引出,探出; 诱出$ z3 n7 a, Z; H
    例句:The teacher elicited answers from the students.( @3 I" ^% w  G  C
    Illicit (adjective) - unlawful; illegal  不正当的; 法律不许可的,非法的;9 t) o2 j4 Z/ \1 j/ W
    例句:The teacher discovered illicit drugs in a student’s desk.
    - K6 |3 n# U+ _! M/ m0 I" a& Z% W* m) t# \
    Fair to Midland vs. Fair to Middling
    ) A$ s. P! G4 n* O" b3 s2 F2 v1 RFair to midland - an incorrect use of the phrase "fair to middling"  错误用法2 W+ y% ?: x, B5 _" V
    Fair to middling (phrase) - something that is moderate to average in quality  过得去,马马虎虎;+ o. q" d" ^4 j* G& J/ w: c
    例句:The temperature was fair to middling today.
    0 F7 c7 Q, |/ v( M  }; w( I" P, r! o
    5 X9 b$ s$ g2 L- Y' aHad Bought vs. Had Boughten
    2 i' L  J; Q, @Had Bought (verb) - the past perfect tense of the verb buy  f8 x, a, {5 }7 H
    例句:The teacher had bought Christmas presents for all of students early in the year.
    9 w8 n: Z/ T% f# ?# wHad Boughten - incorrect usage of the past perfect tense
    ' Y# {* W* i/ u& ~1 W- U. k  ~. {6 t0 N5 v( x. r
    Hone vs. Home( h* y9 F( q: K+ W# Y
    Hone (verb) - to sharpen; to yearn or long for; to grumble or moan  j. q/ [+ L/ _
    例句:Practicing the piano daily is a good way to hone your skills.! C- \: q! N/ {- l
    Home (noun) - dwelling; place where a person lives
    " m1 U2 P' s1 m% u6 ]1 A例句:After the long drive, we were all ready to be home and asleep.+ n: D0 f/ w3 d5 g( f

3 a4 X1 b- {$ U/ b8 gImitated vs. Intimated
    8 Q3 ?: h0 p$ yImitated (verb) - past tense of the verb imitate, which means to seek to follow the example of; impersonate; mimic' k% [; K6 T0 b2 }8 b
    例句:The toddler imitated the dog by crawling on hands and knees and barking.4 h* `$ e6 Q; C& j0 n  q& Y
    Intimated (verb) - to make known indirectly; to hint or imply) c1 ~+ W7 D, Q; ^4 P
    例句:The pirate intimated that he knew where the treasure was buried.
    1 D5 \5 U6 o7 o# |. ?, J; l
    . Y+ O; p5 Y$ @; E* L: i& kIn a Sense vs. In Essence
    1 U8 I9 _* `6 l2 ~, C$ ZIn a sense (idiom) - in a way; in one way of looking at it
    8 x7 ~/ Z# K1 n7 N例句:In a sense, computers have been a boon to society.  X8 n- ?: w" l+ ]$ e' t
    In essence (idiom) - by nature; essentially
    : g4 l! H& e6 C; w例句:The cat is, in essence, quiet and timid.( Y1 J8 ^* G$ c& M* A! e) ?, x- y
    " Z0 v% `0 i7 o
    In One Foul Swoop vs. In One Fell Swoop( Y7 X1 E8 n" h% d: S5 l& F: F
    In one foul swoop - an incorrect use of the phrase "in one fell swoop"6 F% E/ \0 ]0 }: a
    In one fell swoop - a phrase meaning "all at once") d% Z9 K7 \" }4 o' Z2 c0 |
    例句:In one fell swoop, the toy was demolished by the child.; }( h+ T5 K* ^% J- D4 c

: n7 u$ b8 x2 c% P5 N3 _Its vs. It’s1 Q+ E- v* q$ G) h! V0 X
    Its (possessive pronoun) - of, belonging to, made by, or done by it" g3 R; p  f0 ~# Q$ x1 q; ]' C2 v$ [
    例句:The dog will only eat its food when I am also eating.! G7 g6 N2 @8 B4 e0 Q( r  d
    It’s (contraction) of it + is9 O  _& ~& e0 W; \
    例句:It’s a very strange dog.
    & P  F( _$ A9 H7 f6 @9 H  u5 l
    ( K4 ]1 M  @7 c' LI Could Of vs. I Could Have" o5 ]' y1 m0 O! }
    I could of - an incorrect use of the verb phrase could have; when written as a contraction "could've" sounds like "could of.": Y/ M8 y2 x" |. O  Z/ \
    I could have - is the past perfect tense of the verb could  c1 g: i& ~3 C( F
    例句:I could have gone to the play, but I had to study that night
    # u2 _, [+ s! J# d
    2 I1 K: D! s- U; F' iI Should of vs. I Should Have
    4 z, t0 s4 P2 @/ _I should of - an incorrect use of the verb phrase should have; when written as a contraction "should've" sounds like "should of."
    / \6 J, S1 c" _I should have - is the past perfect tense of the verb should! n+ z3 ~& n1 m* V+ {/ I
    例句:I should have gone to the play instead of study because I failed my test anyway.4 p  l& P) N0 x1 O4 ], i

# F3 X* z8 m% s- M: E! bI Would Of vs. I Would Have
    / Q2 P6 U7 L5 H% p0 c1 ]I would of - an incorrect use of the verb phrase would have; when written as a contraction "would've" sounds like "would of."3 k0 j! m* y, S7 F) c$ X
    I would have - is the past perfect tense of the verb would# h' r# v0 \, l' L& m+ J! {
    例句:I would have gone to the play except my car wouldn't start.
      d9 k9 O6 K' {& ]6 _" u0 G2 P
    $ ~$ X/ ?0 s( R, ]Lead vs. Led
    0 e5 T7 h% L$ @( d) J1 ^& dLead (noun) - a heavy, soft, malleable, bluish-gray metallic chemical element used in batteries and in numerous alloys and compounds
    # [+ R8 s, S$ {$ ?* i例句:I think it was Mrs. White in the billiard room with the lead pipe.5 o' u* Q% k5 ~) j* s% [
    Led (verb) - past tense and past participle of the verb "to lead"
    ( y7 |2 Q/ m" k例句:The two coaches have each led their teams to numerous championships.
    ) i  G! u: G& X' l
    2 W4 w; c5 a% u7 P& N  c& W3 ?. pLose vs. Loose
    & ^. t( M4 e! I* }1 _3 s' oLose (verb) - to become unable to find; to mislay; to fail to win or gain% K. f, q1 W, B0 u5 k6 b6 ]% ]
    例句:Did you lose your glasses again?
      W# R' V. N4 F例句:How many games did your team lose last season?% V# R) ?7 Q+ I
    Loose (adjective) - not tight; giving enough room
      t: v& u0 A! P4 C: U) O$ F( L例句:I’ve lost twenty pounds, and now these jeans are really loose.
    ( v5 g1 l. A, u% d. x6 O$ k. G# ]2 W$ i  C8 Q. N, d
    More/Most Importantly vs. More/Most Important
    5 T. E' C+ I" q/ tMore/most importantly - a phrase used often in writing to show emphasis; however, many grammarians insist that this is not correct usage. The adverbial ending of -ly is not needed.
    4 g6 |$ @0 V9 p: C5 RMore/most important - this phrase should be used instead
    6 D6 g( [! [  [例句:The most important part of story is the ending.、
    ( x' `7 k& A: A3 \) Q' e0 q- w0 \" y
    Passed vs. Past
    ' M( n; u% N8 O( H/ TPassed (verb) - past tense of the verb "to pass"; z" ?- w3 f' \3 O# t
    例句:I think we passed the store. Let’s turn around and go back.
    6 P0 L1 H+ p( @8 B9 C# _Past (adjective) - of a former time; bygone; (noun) - the time that has gone by; days, months, or years gone by
    . n, X  T" w! U3 w2 O例句:In the past, I’ve gotten lost a lot, but this time I know where we are.
    + [$ u' L3 Q4 S8 E' e# K1 T
    , b# L5 L+ `( |7 i* OPrecede vs. Proceed' P6 z8 ^$ G5 Y0 L
    Precede (verb) - to be, come, or go before in time, place, order, rank, or importance
    ( Y5 Y( q5 ^6 [3 \4 H! U例句:The election of a new president precedes his inauguration.% I. S9 |7 E5 }4 M% _* [
    Proceed (verb) - to advance or go on, especially after stopping
    % @/ b( o% ?, z9 m0 x% T- L" `2 p例句:After your first assignment has been completed and approved, you may proceed to the second one.
    ; }9 h" Y; u! z. c& X0 `  e! _2 _% A1 R
    Principal vs. Principle
    0 e  o, F1 q& ?Principal (noun) - a governing or presiding officer, specifically of a school; (adjective) - first in rank, authority, importance, degree, etc.3 [% A: K" H! |& [) O5 P' q. f
    例句:The student’s parents had to have a meeting with the principal.
      x% s7 O) w/ `7 R! kPrinciple (noun) - a fundamental truth, law, doctrine, or motivating force, upon which others are based) v! r2 Q& N  C( J" B. v7 Z! G
    例句:The student’s parents thought that they had instilled stronger moral principles in their son.+ }8 N- t# T3 ^$ d9 l

' R: e. G( H; x* X* o" w$ ZSeen vs. Saw+ Z7 u& M2 ~- ]' A6 H* `2 ]: \
    Seen (verb) - past participle of the verb see; must be used with the verbs has, have, or had8 j" Y3 i/ h- Q& z
    例句:I have seen the movie three times., {+ C. Q( `6 f& m- ?1 t' Q4 \
    *Note: I seen the movie three times is not correct though it is commonly used in spoken language.- U$ k9 x- A0 b
    Saw (verb) - past tense of the verb see! v: _0 p7 v& J% Y) v7 _- a5 t  ]
    例句:I saw the movie yesterday.
    0 J; O2 `7 Y# J. R, j8 [# V$ c# K% ]4 J5 Q; H9 G2 p8 _
    Sell vs. Sale
    1 n* Y: A- C2 ASell (verb) - to give up, deliver or exchange for money3 @  B2 T4 G1 q' e! x
    例句:People who move often sell unwanted items instead of packing them.3 N9 B+ b2 d; {9 x
    Sale (noun) - the act of selling; the work, department, etc. of selling- d! I- ?/ }/ r0 g
    例句:After Christmas sales always bring in the bargain shoppers.+ ~* j. A1 L+ @6 S! W

& s$ {9 T% O  R! s; j+ h+ C, PSite vs. Sight
    - h- Q5 D- a. jSight (noun) - something seen, a view, field of vision7 M" N; ~! D/ d+ H) E2 Z
    例句:She was a sight for sore eyes., Z2 ?0 ~9 m9 u) G7 H, X2 A1 X. b* J
    Site (noun) - a piece of land considered for a specific purpose4 p# ^, E1 K* D7 D! b9 R# B
    例句:The corner lot was a perfect site for the new shopping center./ D8 J, F* P, w1 R, p* \
    5 L/ W1 T* F9 Z1 l& C' F9 }4 ~
    Stationary vs. Stationery  |2 z6 o, w6 o; i* }
    Stationary (adjective) - not moving or not movable; fixed or still7 M& e! U) g! @
    例句:I rode the stationary bike at the gym for an hour.
    : m& R8 e8 W) j0 b$ VStationery (noun) - writing materials; specifically, paper and envelopes used for letters
      y) D: S2 S" k9 D2 e" h例句:My grandmother has given me a lot of stationery over the years. I think she wants me to use it to write her.1 t+ h, u' Q3 s$ R: Q" u8 ^
    - e# ^& V6 S9 [+ o5 J# K" G
    Taut vs Taunt
    2 s, k+ q3 c+ M4 W$ o& XTaut (adjective) - tightly stretched; showing strain; tidy or well-disciplined, F( z* O3 u$ s; }$ V; |
    例句:The taut rope held the luggage to the roof.
    2 U+ d' I" D% M! R, d. C( _Taunt (verb) - to reproach in scornful or sarcastic language; to drive or provoke
    1 O3 z+ q( s- D: U例句:The home team taunted the visitors with cheers every time the visiting team made an error.8 p0 N1 i: R8 u. Q& b
    2 I, |/ V2 |. y
    Than vs. Then( e; U( J) J  q6 q
    Than (conjunction) - used to introduce the second element in a comparison( B" b. m  C$ C* N
    例句:My right foot is bigger than my left foot.6 k8 @& k6 K1 L9 Q1 G0 e
    Then (adverb) - at that time; next in order; (adjective) - of that time; (noun) - that time. y$ o# C7 z2 p8 O8 s4 Y- [' V4 W
    例句:Take off all your clothes first. Then get in the shower.( G- r" Z3 d9 o2 O1 n
    例句:Emily drove up to New York with her then boyfriend, Nick.
    . F! P2 \& ]5 i7 n例句:Let's wait until we're hungry; we can decide what we want to eat then.
    0 P( V8 B3 F4 a) U; e( J9 M2 `% P# T7 h4 x2 @& U
    Their vs. There vs. They’re
    3 [* j) i" d; q& VTheir (adjective) - of, belonging to, made by, or done by them" m8 D4 H( p' N) c; k- y
    例句:They were proud of their work.' C( a+ @( b- F1 `- a  {( d
    There (noun) - that place or point
    & s) r( W* \) ^; X* E- O例句:Just put it over there.) I* [4 R% o9 D# ]% F* N' P) N
    They’re (contraction) of they + are( S" [( U7 o7 L' V7 S, T
    例句:They’re going out to dinner tonight.
    " }* p( ]5 m; }* r
    ) w( p" \# S* g( JTo vs. Too vs. Two
    7 O8 q/ Z- T6 R7 }* Z( YTo (preposition) - in the direction of and reaching; as far as; to the extent of
      |4 |, ?9 B4 I例句:I’m going to Baltimore.
    7 F7 z" I1 E. Y' E4 XToo (adverb) - in addition; as well; besides; also; more than enough; superfluously; overly; to a regrettable extent; extremely8 v5 |1 a* b6 \8 W. @- D4 H& ?, A  V5 q
    例句:I’m going to Baltimore, too.
    ' M2 V+ V* M2 t. k! b6 {I'm too busy. I can't go to Baltimore.
    # W* `8 Q" M" X  ?Two (adjective) the number 2
    ) c) r: H0 n6 s) H7 ^例句:I have two jobs.! W( M) g, C9 j0 B, T0 w* Q; y

' @$ ?5 K( S# j$ O; w% UYour vs. You're
    5 }" O0 C' x# z2 B. UYour (adjective) - belonging to you
    , d/ j6 u& ^( \1 O5 A* y例句:Is this your dog?
    ! W  h8 }: L6 A: ?3 OYou're (contraction) - you are
    2 ]% R+ {3 u1 _% I6 d1 [例句:You're a great mother!
    6 ^- m; M- v6 l: {
    0 l/ j6 U$ k7 AWho vs. Whom2 c- b! m7 ?. S- f" P
    Who (subject pronoun) - what or which person or persons; the person or persons that, or a person that (used to introduce a relative clause)7 V9 P* t1 j+ A; t1 q# W3 L+ a% Y
    例句:Who is going to the party with you?, I1 g; z; a+ E7 Y+ d' ]6 z' u
    Whom (object pronoun) - what or which person or persons; the person or persons that, or a person that (used to introduce a relative clause)# _' R! f1 s1 }, J# O+ @
    例句:With whom are you going to the party?
    6 s$ U7 L+ q# [  I: |

评分

查看全部评分

• TA的每日心情
    开心
    2022-1-31 08:02
  • 签到天数: 13 天

[LV.3]偶尔看看II

发表于 2018-8-3 15:47:45 | 显示全部楼层
    太赞的资源!
    您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 免费注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|PDAWIKI |网站地图

GMT+8, 2024-6-2 22:06 , Processed in 0.045110 second(s), 12 queries , MemCache On.