只需一步,快速开始

查看: 1380|回复: 4

[语言讨论] 假如欧巴马还是总统的话,这一切都不会发生……

[复制链接]

该用户从未签到

发表于 2020-5-13 11:35:15 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
前共和党战略师史蒂夫•施密特(Steve Schmidt)说:
5 m/ i- H6 W3 z0 s' w- V. H. N) d! g  _+ o8 c7 k* D! X
Former GOP strategist Steve Schmidt on Monday rebuked President Donald Trump’s fumbling response to the coronavirus pandemic ... “If Barack Obama was the president of the United States, this would not have happened,” the political analyst told MSNBC’s Ari Melber.

( [7 r& j( J  t# @) I2 W
% ?. k" A7 o: B! Z3 d% N! l8 t5 ?这话有什么毛病?他忘了用虚拟语气/Subjunctive mood 呀!
. V: Q: p+ U; s1 I0 w
' o1 y. E9 [+ \. U所以好些个新闻,引用他的话,用was,转述的时候,却用were:
! z) S3 A# ?0 x% @: H& x3 ~; G9 J) C# e, `, V8 V! A' x- c
比如:https://www.huffpost.com/entry/s ... 909c5b68f80c04c89a5
! j- c/ i8 b2 q5 a4 G5 C7 x; K; y6 h! H: G5 P* m- a
Ex-GOP Strategist: If Obama Were President, 'This Would Not Have Happened’
不引用语法有问题的部分) {1 v6 W! Q* O. {
7 `" w; ~* Q0 A  U) S& Z5 ^
再比如:https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-barack-obama-coronavirus-gop-republican-steve-schmidt-a9511006.html
& Q. m9 s2 p) [' Y3 Z& J6 `  v  J& J
‘If Obama were president this would not have happened’: Republican strategist hits out at Trump's coronavirus response
: G1 g  v  W3 P1 R
, k, q5 m9 L) ~# F. [
在标题上直接改掉语法错误。
- o4 p1 |2 i; }
' B: A8 L7 O4 b" I
In an interview with MSNBC’s Ari Melber, political analyst Steve Schmidt claimed: “If Barack Obama was the president of the United States this would not have happened.”
7 S" G( o# ]& Q8 Z  C8 F
( }7 y5 M# n% R& Y- R# p
但是在正文里,明确说是他的话,就不改了,沿用错误的was3 v% p; _' e* w. Q" [8 |: D2 z
7 w7 j3 a5 A7 S6 |& w
一般来讲,说话人说错了语法,新闻里应该用[sic]标记,这些新闻也懒得用[sic]了- }6 H8 j$ W% d& r: a; S8 Y

) G9 s5 {! g' X  B9 s
( g6 b# {/ D6 x. n6 Z% N
  • TA的每日心情
    慵懒
    2024-3-15 10:32
  • 签到天数: 1011 天

[LV.10]以坛为家III

发表于 2020-5-13 11:47:12 | 显示全部楼层
    关于虚拟语气,《经济学人》有一篇文章: Would that it were so simple (the strange tale of the subjunctive in English) 应该可以回答你的问题。:)
  • TA的每日心情
    无聊
    2023-6-11 12:43
  • 签到天数: 1541 天

[LV.Master]伴坛终老

发表于 2020-5-15 19:12:54 | 显示全部楼层
    楼主这里为什么要用虚拟语气呢?特朗普当选总统之前本来奥巴马就是总统。这不是没有事实依据的不可能的,也不是想象出来的。
  • TA的每日心情
    开心
    2021-1-11 21:26
  • 签到天数: 313 天

[LV.8]以坛为家I

发表于 2020-5-15 19:42:51 | 显示全部楼层
    蛮有趣的,谢谢分享0 y( o( p& g: ]
    并且这还是一个错综虚拟
  • TA的每日心情
    开心
    2021-1-11 21:26
  • 签到天数: 313 天

[LV.8]以坛为家I

发表于 2020-5-15 23:03:44 | 显示全部楼层
    IN A recent supplement to The Economist, called “The World If”, we considered several hypothetical futures under such headlines as: “If Donald Trump was president” or “If the ocean was transparent”. Several readers wrote in dismay: surely we meant: “If Donald Trump were president” and “If the ocean were transparent”. Does no one know the English subjunctive anymore?
    3 h2 q) }7 v' U# Y' t
    : e/ ~. m/ m9 x6 c0 Z0 y在最近一期题为“The World If”《经济学人》增刊中,我们对未来做出以下几种假设,标题分别为:有一篇叫做“这世上的如果”,这篇文章指出:我们总是会对未来做出一些假设,比如在标题上写到:“If Donald Trump was president”或“If the ocean were transparent”对此,一些读者十分郁闷地写道:我们认为这两句话毫无疑问应表达为:“If Donald Trump were president”以及“If the ocean were transparent”不再有人记得英语中的虚拟语气了吗?, `. G% e- h7 N' F& u

& z2 \9 [. [7 `4 y& f8 o* DIn fact, the decision to use “If the ocean was…” was made consciously, after some debate. It looks less stilted in a headline. It feels a bit less distant from reality. And because of the design of the pages, the words “…the ocean was transparent” stood alone. They would have looked bizarre as “...the ocean were transparent”.
    " Y+ x# p$ T+ k3 {6 s! t" k7 B" e  `) C
    实际上,为了让标题看起来不那么生硬,更接近现实,本报经过一番讨论,特决定使用“If the ocean was…”。加之页面设计的缘故,让标题文字“……the ocean was transparent”这部分单独一行。如果写成“the ocean were transparent”,会让句子看起来十分诡异。7 C3 Z: \8 U2 _0 U- h

. X: F5 Z; ]$ I2 r) W" `% DNormally we would not let design considerations govern grammatical ones. But is there a case to be made for “if he was...”? Yes. There is a reason grammar books must hound people to use “if he were…” Most English-speakers use “if he was” at least some of the time in sentences that call for the subjunctive, and some of them use it exclusively.
    8 D* \6 ~% ~+ P) L8 V; V) {
    , Y) [9 L" b# Y: K5 |& J0 m9 C/ U通常情况下,我们不会将页面设计的考虑凌驾于语法之上。但会不会在某些情况下使用“if he was”的句式呢?是的。尽管语法书有理由要求人们必须使用“if he were”,但大多数母语为英语的人会在一些场合使用“if he was”有时还是会在需要使用虚拟语气的句子中使用“if he was”的句式,一些人甚至只用这种句式。% d2 W  ^4 r+ }9 O) F: x, e; r
    ! a- G3 E4 o. _. r
    How could this arise? Subjunctive “were” is an odd bird. Since Joseph Priestley in 1761, grammarians have fretted that it was on its way to disappearing from English. There are 37,704 verbs in the Oxford English Dictionary; only one has a special subjunctive form—“to be”. Even then, “to be” has a special subjunctive for only two of the six grammatical persons: first-person singular and third-person singular. In the other 37,703 verbs the subjunctive (“if we had”) looks just like the ordinary indicative (“we had”).! r- L$ i. P0 |
    . f8 W8 V2 I, g' j
    为什么会出现这种情况呢?虚拟语气词“were”十分古怪。自1761年,约瑟夫·普里斯特利之后,文法学者就开始担忧“were”正在从英语中逐渐消亡 。牛津英文字典中收录了37704动词,只有一个有虚拟语气的形态,那就是“to be”,即使在当时,“to be”所代表的虚拟语气只适用于6个人称中的2个,即第一人称单数和第三人称单数。在其他37703个动词中,虚拟语气,例如“if we had”看起来和普通的陈述语气“we had”没有差别。6 q& z0 s4 \5 w* L
    " i0 v. q" V+ V, R' k1 m: Y
    As it always does, incidentally, for all those other verbs. “If you ate that, you’d get sick” is the subjunctive; the “if” clause is about an unreal, hypothetical situation. But “if you ate that, I’m mightily impressed” is indicative (the “if” clause indicates something that is quite possibly true). Both forms of “ate” look like the plain past tense, though. It’s an odd theory of grammar to say that English has a full, robust and mandatory subjunctive, and yet that in almost every instance, it looks just like the plain past tense.
    & Y$ ^( W" \, G: G" u- ~
    $ D' K% S% F  \8 W3 ^9 `顺便说一下,其他动词也是一样的, “If you ate that, you’d get sick”是虚拟的; 因为“if”从句是一种假设的情形。但是,“if you ate that, I’m mightily impressed”则是一个陈述句(“if”从句所表示的情况有可能是真的)。虽然两句中的“ate”看起来都是一般过去时态,但第一句是虚拟语气,第二个是陈述句。这个理论十分奇怪,它认为英语的虚拟语气应当语句完整,语气强烈,并拥有暗示意味,但几乎在每一个例子里,都是用的一般过去式的这种表达。
    , ?4 a+ D+ j  k( g
    , h7 r3 S' A' o& q8 n# pMajor bits of grammar—like the existence of a subjunctive—are usually a lot more visible than this. The subjunctive has a distinct form for all verbs in many languages. In Spanish, for example, sabe (he knows) becomes sepa. It’s required to describe doubts, as in “I don’t think he knows…” Portuguese even has a future subjunctive (for “when he comes tomorrow…”), and German has one for reported speech (“She said that she is…”)) [4 n2 M) t. M6 c2 j& w+ ]
    7 `) F! K: t2 t9 z2 X8 f  p
    语法的小要点—— 比如虚拟语气,在实际应用中通常比以上论述更明显。在许多语言中,动词的虚拟语气形式要(比英语)更为明显。比如,在西语中,sabe(相当于英文中的he knows)的虚拟语气就变成了sepa。Sepa就是被用来描述疑问的表达,就像英文中的“I don’t think he knows…”葡萄牙语甚至还有一个未来虚拟的语法(future subjunctive),例如“当他明天来到……”( when he comes tomorrow…);而德语中有一种虚拟语气用于报告演说,例如,“她说她是……” (She said that she is…)
    ' E7 f' M& X) n+ i' F# a3 v' [  b' d- a% ]+ Z( _
    The English “were” is the runt of the subjunctive litter, used on just one verb, just some of the time, and not by everyone. And some experts reckon this is not a subjunctive at all. “The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language”, by Geoffrey Pullum and Rodney Huddleston, calls counterfactual “were” the “irrealis”, rather than the subjunctive, and says that it is an unstable remnant of an earlier system.
    6 i, u  a- j' i  E
    + y; ?. p- M( ^英语中的“were”只是虚拟语气中的一小部分,只是一个动词在某些时刻的虚拟语气表达方式,并不能用于所有人称。但有些专家认为这根本不是所谓的虚拟语气。 “英国剑桥英语语法” 作者:作者杰弗里·普勒姆(Geoffrey Pullum)和罗德尼·胡德尔斯顿(Rodney Huddleston)称虚拟语气标志词“were” 表示非现实,而不是虚拟,并且强调这是早期语言系统形成时,遗留的一个问题。
    5 I0 ^; j; ^! U( ^1 W: a5 y; M
    % }2 b, N6 W. l/ l: B9 s; K4 ^They reserve “subjunctive” to describe a fuller and healthier bit of English: things like “so be it”, “come what may”, and “he insists that students be punctual”. Other grammarians call this the English present subjunctive, and say that “if he were” is the past subjunctive. Messrs Pullum and Huddleston reply that the present subjunctive is so different from the “if he were” cases that the term “subjunctive” makes little sense covering both—hence their proposal of irrealis for the “if he were” cases. Outsiders to academic linguistics are often shocked that there is debate on basic facts like what the subjunctive is. But language is much more complex than short-and-sharp grammars portray. (The “Cambridge Grammar” is not one of those, at 1,842 pages.)! F, f4 B# M3 {0 P4 T, i
    / U% r+ J! W* H1 S& X
    他们保留“虚拟语气”(subjunctive)以保证英语语言系统的完整和健全:像“so be it”,“come what may” 以及“he insists that students be punctual”等这样的用词。其他语法学家把这样的用词称为英语中表示现在的虚拟语气,并认为“if he were”是表示过去的虚拟语气。布朗和哈德尔斯顿两位先生反驳道:现在时的虚拟语气与“if they were”的表达方式截然不同,以至于虚拟语气在两种表达方式中几乎不起什么作用。非语言学家经常会震惊于在什么是虚拟语气这样的基本问题上竟然还存在争论。,但语言本身比比简洁有力的的语法形式复杂得多。 (Cambridge Grammar不是其中之一,记述在1,842页)
    & R) v) x' {4 N
    4 ~6 W' z+ J6 a0 x( |The fact is that “if he were” is still in good health in edited English: it is not archaic like the King James Bible’s “If he be poor” (yet another subjunctive). But “if he were” is slightly formal, a bit tricky and not universally observed. Our choice of “If Donald Trump was…” comports with the many grammar books that consider “if he was” simply less formal. Defoe, Swift and Addison were using “was” in such sentences three centuries ago.
    ( D4 I% B! Q2 ?4 N6 K" A# W1 h
    $ p+ f3 S* v7 o5 E事实是,“if he were”仍然广泛应用于书面英语中:它不像英皇钦定本圣经中的“If he be poor”(另一种虚拟语气)那样古旧。但是,“if he were” 仍然稍显正式,复杂,且应用并不广泛。我们选择“If Donald Trump was…”这种用法,与许多语法书中所述一样,认为如果“if he was”不那么正式不够正式。300年之前,迪福(Defoe)、斯威夫特(Swift)和艾迪生(Addison)在这类句子中用的就是“was”。4 T: \  `8 _0 a9 T2 }
    + G& O/ A7 e1 t( J2 V$ g: u
    Many people think that grammar always gives a single answer to any question. But it doesn’t. In the recent Coen brothers film “Hail, Caesar!”, a stuffy older English film director struggles endlessly to get a backwoods-bred young American actor to master a single line, which both includes and sums up the subjunctive: “Would that it were so simple…”
    ( [6 G6 ?* N% U% J8 t' K, {' T7 V3 ]% d4 b$ E
    许多人认为语法是衡量任何语句问题的唯一标准,但其实并不是。在最近科恩兄弟的电影《凯撒万岁》中,上了年纪的保守导演花费了巨大精力,教一位生长在偏远地区的年轻演员掌握一句台词:“Would that it were so simple…”。这句台词既涉及虚拟语气,也是虚拟语气的一个总结。9 P; J$ \* O7 r4 c, a4 ^) m
    % w3 g/ l( l' T; r
    您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 免费注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|PDAWIKI |网站地图

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 23:56 , Processed in 0.031343 second(s), 7 queries , MemCache On.